So I’ve been nominated to participate in the Liebster Award by Anonywitch so I’m kicking off with 11 facts about me.
1. Im a hoarder, I’m forever stashing bits a pieces for future craft ideas and sometimes I even get around to making them.
2. I have the crochet equivalent of ADHD. Its really hard to keep myself focused on one project or another. I always have at least three things on the go, not to mention the things I want to do and none crochet related projects.
3. I am a Time Team addict, my default TV watching is always a rerun on Discovery History.
4. I HATE fresh tomato, once it’s cooked I’m fine but something about the texture … yuck
5. My secret reading sin is historical fiction, it’s not a replacement for historical fact but its a damn good read.
6. When I wasa kid I wanted to be an archaeologists like Indiana Jones and visit Egypt … I managed two out of three, but I do look good in the hat 😉
7. I spent a lot of my childhood weekends watching rugby with my dad.
8. Like Anonywitch I got called on my reading habits by my teacher in school snd completely showed him up by giving an in depth synopsis of the last book I’d read.
9. I haven’t learnt to drive a car and at this rate I probably never will.
10. My garden and area is frequented by about four red kites pairs and they perform some amazing ariel displays. The first close encounter I had with one in the garden felt like confirmation of my choice of name for my eldest.
11. My name is Victoria, meaning Victory. My kids are Freya and Lilith. Ours is a household of Goddesses.
What is one thing about you that people can’t tell just by looking at you?
What my degree is in. I don’t work in the area and its not a subject that comes up in general conversation often so unless I specifically say my degree is in archaeology and history they have no idea.
What’s your favorite dessert?
Mmm chocolate, that darkly delicious food that in truth is forbidden me but somehow is always my desert of choice. Technically I’m only dairy intolerant, but so long as I don’t get silly drinking pints of milk or eating pounds of cheese I don’t have to worry about hidden dairy in cakes, bread etc and can splurge on the good stuff occasionally.
How do you wake up in the morning?
Slowly with a cup of coffee! We’re you expecting something spiritual? Unfortunately there isn’t always space in our morning routine for much more however when there is less of a time pressure I like to light an incense cone or stick and perform a daily devotion to Hekate, which incorporates the Orphic Oath as an act of balancing the energies of heaven and earth within me.
Who do you think has the most potential to fix the world: politicians, activists, or regular folks (or none of the above)?
Does it have to be a single one? We regular folks become activists and some activists because politicians, and it’s the regular folk that put those politicians in power… in a way we all bear responsibility of addressing the world’s problems be it supporting an organisation, making the issue heard and acting on it. The biggest problem is getting some politicians to recognise scientific fact, some activists to behave in credible ways and regular folks to engage.
Which book has most changed your life and how?
My answer would be better suited to “which author changed your life and how”. David Eddings certainly had a massive impact on my life, particularly his series the Belgariad and The Malloreon and associated prequels. It was through his writings that I came to understand the power of words, not only in a mundane sense but the magical too. It also crystallised the concept of combining will and word to create change.
Whom do you admire? Why?
Ooo hard one, anyone and everyone who works in palative care. It must be so hard to go to work and experience the fine line between life and death in such a stark way. Everyone I have met has been amazingly upbeat and supportive of patient and family and so caring. Some organisations do go that extra mile to make those final days as positive as possible and should be applauded.
What fictional character are you most like?
I always wanted to be Polgara but I can’t really say I am anything like her. I suppose I am the quite character who always appears calm and collected but is actually quite uptight and nervous underneath… I can’t think of a particular character … Maybe Sailor Mercury.
Tell me about your tattoos. If you don’t have any, what tattoo(s) would you like to get?
Well easiest way to answer this is to say check out my blog post Got Ink?. Im waiting for a influx of much needed cash before I get the next, my Saturn/Mercury sigil.
What do you find beautiful?
Rainbows, that magical combination of fire and water in the airy heaven’s. Occasionally we experience some beautiful rainbows over my area, and it always feels so special when we get a particularly clear example.
What is your signature dish?
I love rich, winter comfort food especially when its easy to make and my signature dish has to be root vegetable gratin. The kids get sick of it but they clear their plates.
How do you channel your creativity?
Crochet and writing, which is quite lucky given the title. I have bern concentrating on the ‘magic’ in ‘knot magic’ recently but I’ve got a couple of crochet projects to share, including a pattern. Crochet is so relaxing and productive.
Cave of the Night
Chattering Magpie -Summoner of the Hearth
Mistress of the Hearth
My Wiccan Walk
Setjataset – Madame Magic
Singing for Hekate
Tales from the Undergardeners Lodge
The Wild Peak
so my 11 named blogers its on to you. Some questions are deliberately vague, to be left open to interpretation, so interpret them however you like.
How did you come to Paganism?
What’s your favourite kind of fiction and why?
Are you a technophile or technophobe?
What was the last new thing you learnt?
What’s your favourite classic tv show and why?
What is the most positive aspect of the pagan community in your experience?
What’s your favourite animal and why?
Are you a lark or a night owl?
Who is your favourite pagan author and why?
What’s your ideal holiday getaway and why?
If you could be doing anything right now what would you be doing and why?
Folks listed above, your tasks are as follows: link back to this blog, list 11 facts about you, answer my questions, choose 11 other blogs with 200 followers or less, and ask them 11 new questions. That’s it. Yay building a blog community! Yay getting to know people on the interwebs!